EPA Diesel Engine Emission Standards in 2016
In the 1990s, the EPA began regulating air pollutant emissions from diesel engines. First, lower sulfur content diesel fuel was required for design of more effective diesel exhaust treatment systems. Then tiered emission standards for heavy duty diesel engines were phased in for highway vehicles in 2010, off-highway vehicles in 2014, rail vehicles in 2015 and for marine and all diesel engines in 2016.
SCR systems use diesel exhaust fluid to reduce NOx to harmless nitrogen and water. DEF is available at retail outlets in small quantities, at most truck stops and in bulk for onsite use from a fuel supplier. DEF is a urea and deionized water solution that is stable for onsite use and storage, and not harmful to users. Adding DEF to your fleet fueling system is a sensible management choice for overall cost savings.
Benefits of Onsite DEF Fueling
Here are ten reasons why you can save money and time by moving to onsite DEF fueling.
- Half the cost: DEF purchased from retail stores in 1 or 2.5 gallon containers costs about $5 per gallon compared to bulk purchase of about $2 per gallon.
- Ease of use: As opposed to filling the truck tank from containers or making extra stops at offsite diesel fueling stations, onsite DEF fueling is convenient.
- Good business management: All necessary fleet fuels are at one location.
- Competitive advantage: Saving time on the road with fewer stops and lower cost per mile for operation gives your fleet the competitive advantage.
- Meet EPA 2016 Standards: All US manufactured equipment will have SCR installed and DEF will be part of that requirement.
- No risk of running out: Onsite DEF fueling from a reputable supplier means always having enough DEF on hand for fueling needs.
- Container disposal: Eliminate extra cost on retail DEF container disposal.
- Reduce labor costs: Less time expended stopping to purchase DEF at retail outlets and tedium of filling tanks from small containers means less wasted time and more productivity.
- Track and control costs: Onsite DEF fueling with ready documentation of use will make it easier to track the fuel costs per truck. No more lost or forgotten receipts.
- Stolen diesel fuel: Avoid the industry issue of up to 5 percent in theft loss of diesel fuel.