Here are 10 things you should know about diesel exhaust fluid:
- The two main ingredients of DEF are deionized water and urea. The normal proportions are 2/3 deionized water and 1/3 urea. The urea is a synthetic product, not derived from natural sources.
- The consumption of DEF is in direct proportion to the amount of fuel consumed. The proportion is about 1 gallon of DEF to every 50 gallons of fuel used. That rate can vary a bit by manufacturer.
- You can find DEF just about anywhere that has a decent automotive department. This includes Walmart, most truck stops and most every automotive store in the U.S.
- DEF helps offer optimized combustion, better fuel optimization, increased engine power and less engine wear. It's also highly reliable. It releases harmless nitrogen and water to the environment. The only con most people report is a bit of extra weight added to the truck.
- Some people think that nitrogen oxide is not a big deal and don't understand why it is so important to reduce the production of it. It is responsible for smog, acid rain and greenhouse gases.
- DEF will not evaporate in hot weather. Even at a constant 120 degrees, it would take two years for a container of DEF to turn into ammonia and evaporate.
- Despite some rumors to the contrary, DEF does not affect fuel mileage. In fact, truck manufacturers claim it improves mileage by up to 5 percent.
- DEF is not a new technology. It has been in use for decades in agricultural and commercial applications. The only upgrade has been to purify the urea for use in automotive diesel engines.
- The ingredients in DEF are less toxic than most fluids used in diesel engines, including engine oil, diesel fuel, antifreeze, brake fluid and windshield washer fluid.
- If you let the DEF run out in your diesel vehicle, it will eventually not start. This is a requirement of all vehicles that use DEF to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions. You will get plenty of warnings from the vehicle. Just don't ignore it.
If you want to learn more about diesel exhaust fluid or about other innovative fuel solutions, contact us here at Innovative Fueling Services. We offer new and enhanced solutions for fuel storage and delivery.